Wednesday 3 August 2011

Another Ricketts-Led Harrod Loss

Last night we played Hinckley in the Harrod. Unfortunately we lost...

Graham Booley volunteered as Board 1 (as Pete Harrison was being all artistic) and played Peter Gibbs, and despite putting up a good fight lost both his encounters. The one very bright spot was John Manger, who beat Jason Smith on both occasions. I played Barry Bailey, and was comprehensively outplayed in the first game, when I was Black. In the return, I went a piece up early on, and after we repeated the position three times, neither Barry nor I claimed the draw. For me it was subsequently proved a mistake, but at 3-1 down at half-time, I felt there was no real choice but to play on. Ray and Terry Clay won one each.

Graham Booley (137) - Peter Gibbs (168) 0-1, 0-1
John Manger (122) - Jason Smith (126) 1-0, 1-0
Dave Ricketts (98) - Barry Bailey (92) 0-1, 0-1
Ray Beach (85) - Terry Clay (95) 0-1, 1-0

I might be getting a phobia, but we've had three Harrod Cup fixtures, and in two we've been beaten. The fixture I wasn't there for, the side won.

There was a good turn out with Bubbs Major & Minor, Gary & Gordon turning up.

On Tuesday the serious players have a Wylie Cup match (and John Manger has won a well-earned promotion to that side after his 4-0 Record in the Harrod), and Ray & I are coming to play some beer chess and watch the experts. So there will be a club night.

No comments: