Saturday 4 June 2011

A Ricketts Rarity - My Second Win of 2011, and my Fourth since the Start of 2010

As Colin notes, I won on Thursday night, although he rather bigged up the win with his description of a combination.

We were fairly level to Move 25, and then I over-pressed a lot to open up my opponent's King-side, and went 2 pawns down, and Paul also had a pawn on the 7th Rank. At this point Fritz was very down on me, having sprinkled my moves with a bunch of "??"s (collective noun - a disaster of "??"s?) and told me I was totally lost. In practice, I had doubled Rooks on the open h File, so still thought I had chances. In the end, under some time pressure, Paul blundered, and I won, collecting a ! on the way.

It's a bit worrying that, based on the last 18 months, I won't win again until early in 2012...

No comments: